Renaissance quiver pattern

Bracers, Quivers, etc.
Antworten
Taran
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Renaissance quiver pattern

Beitrag von Taran » 10.05.2004, 17:12

A quickly built quiver. Its shape, however, is not the ordinary leather tube, but based on equipment often depicted in renaissance paintings. Originally this type of quiver is derived from Ottoman quivers and was used to depict "exotic" or even antique Roman or Hellenistic gear - which artists at the time did not know much about.

Here's the pattern, ready to be enlarged. The quiver I built for my wife is about 16 1/2" long.
Bild

The dotted line is the side profile, the wedge below was added because of the bulge of the quiver, which would have let it appear narrower than intended.
Holes were punched to lace the quiver, of course it can be sewn as well - it's just more work and takes more time. I finished the quiver in about two and a half hours.
Holes were spaced about 1/2" (a bit more, 15mm).
Rings were integrated into the lace (lacing the teardrop-shaped bottom is a trial and error procedure), and the quiver was hung from the belt loop using the same leather lacing. Of course, with more time, leather straps with buckles will be substituted.
Decorative rivets almost 1" in diameter were added to spice the quiver up a bit. Fancy decorations were not in order, as it was meant for a tournament, where lots of rain were more than likely. The way things are, the rain never came.
The quiver was impregnated with gun oil, which prevents water stains and hardening, at the same time dulling the pale white colour of new leather to a warmer tone.
Here's the quiver in use. Click the thumbnail to enlarge it.
[url=http://www.fletchers-corner.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10321/dorokoecher.jpg]
Bild[/url]
Comments, questions and ideas are appreciated!
Taran von Caer Dallben

... και δόξα τω Θεώ !

Caver

Beitrag von Caver » 07.01.2007, 02:41

Hi.

It looks very nice !
Nice job !
I was wondering, you find it handy to have the arrows stick 'out' so much ?
I would make the quiver a bit longer, to protect the arrows from sticking behind bushes when doing a field round.
(or hunt.)

Keep up the good work.
Lle naa Curucuar.

Taran
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Quiver length

Beitrag von Taran » 07.01.2007, 18:55

Hi Caver,
You have to come to a compromise here. Either the arrows stick out in front, or your quiver trails you, if you now what i mean... I don't like long side quivers, I tend to get them between the legs and stumble (I am a bit clumsy). But I do agree that 5-10cm (2-4") more length would be okay in this case. The problem was, I didn't have a larger piece of leather at the time. Perhaps I'll add a wide "rim" (?) at the mouth of the quiver sometime.
Thanks for your comments!
Taran von Caer Dallben

... και δόξα τω Θεώ !

Antworten

Zurück zu „Do it yourself“