Quiver and arrow making... as i made stuff

Selbstgebaute Ausrüstungsgegenstände wie Armschutz, Köcher, etc.
Antworten
Mika

Quiver and arrow making... as i made stuff

Beitrag von Mika » 27.04.2004, 09:14

http://www.bowsmithfi.freeservers.com

:o

(edit: vorsicht, die Seite enthält Links und Popups, die mir dubios erscheinen! Use careful, site contains links and popups that seems dubios to me! Rabe)

;-)

Yes, there is some popups indeed but not like in worst case scenario as i know. Press ESC when open these pages and there will not any popups.

jaberwok

Welcome!

Beitrag von jaberwok » 27.04.2004, 09:39

Hi Mika thank you for sharing your pictorials.

@ Rabe: Man muß ja nicht draufklicken oder ? ;-)

Cu Jab

Ravenheart
Forengott
Forengott

Dear Mika

Beitrag von Ravenheart » 27.04.2004, 09:41

The site contains links and popups that seems dubios to me! Sorry. Please declare, what they do or mean.

The stuff is nice!

Raven

@jaber: Viele tun's leider doch..

eddgar

Beitrag von eddgar » 27.04.2004, 13:18

...these instructions are wonderfull and absolutly easy to follow. specially the arrow-making site, maybe this site should be connected to the arrow-tec thread?:D :D :D

the quiver is really neat...seems a bit small and tight though...for my taste.
was sind Hobbys?

Mika

RE:

Beitrag von Mika » 27.04.2004, 14:51

Original geschrieben von eddgar

...these instructions are wonderfull and absolutly easy to follow. specially the arrow-making site, maybe this site should be connected to the arrow-tec thread?:D :D :D

the quiver is really neat...seems a bit small and tight though...for my taste.

:-)

Quiver with these dimensions is ideal for 32" arrows and minimum is 25". About 8 thick arrows with boddkin or field points or 15 thin carbon/target arrow can hold. Must remember that quiver gets heavier carry in hip if make larger. This is not made for hunting tips.

With this quiver arrows will not make a noise when its carried in high hip with belt.

When make back quiver that can be very big.

Ofcourse some dont use any quivers, thats possible and usefully too if you dont carry 30 arrows. :-)

Taran
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Terve, Mika

Beitrag von Taran » 27.04.2004, 15:10

Welcome on board, Mika,

You forgot to mention that you can also carry that quiver with the feathers pointing to the back. In some situations (lots of bushes, brush) this is an advantage.
Of course the perfect quiver has not been invented yet.
I like the nice graphics of your site.

Why do you drench the leather in olive oil (esp. before working with it! What a mess!)?
I impregnate it later, using ballistol (gun oil).

Some of your ideas about arrowmaking (using the file for the nock not directly perpendicular to the grain) seem a bit strange. Why do you do that? It is usually possible to keep close to a 90° angle, isn't it?

Your idea about small holes in the point, to give the glue more grip, is really interesting, though.
Taran von Caer Dallben

... και δόξα τω Θεώ !

horsebow

Beitrag von horsebow » 27.04.2004, 16:03

Welcome, too, Mika,
I liked especially the way you fletch your arrows. The fletching is shorter than four inches, I guess, but it does look very traditional. Most archers seem to think that traditional fletchings have to be longer than five inches.
I liked the professional-looking pics on your page!

horsebow
I shot an arrow in the air,
it fell to earth, I knew not where;
for so swiftly it flew, the sight
could not follow it in its flight.
Longfellow, Oct. 16, 1845

eddgar

Beitrag von eddgar » 27.04.2004, 16:13

...just today i droped onto a site about bowhunting and traditional fletches. they never seem to be longer than 4"...

maybe i'll find it again. get you the link right here.

only talking about tard. fletching...

fletch-link
was sind Hobbys?

horsebow

Beitrag von horsebow » 27.04.2004, 16:43

@Eddgar: Thank you for the fletching-link. I have been using exactly this so-called traditional parabol fletching-shape from an Eternal Archery Clipper for about three years on my horsebow arrows and I am happy with the design. The fletches last long, and the arrows stabilize quickly.
Of course, in medieval times an English longbow arrow had a 5 or 6 inch fletching because of its heavy pile, but our modern target arrows are imho often somewhat "overfletched" which results in shorter range and slower flight.

Regards, horsebow
I shot an arrow in the air,
it fell to earth, I knew not where;
for so swiftly it flew, the sight
could not follow it in its flight.
Longfellow, Oct. 16, 1845

Mika

RE: Terve, Mika

Beitrag von Mika » 28.04.2004, 09:31

Original geschrieben von Taran

Welcome on board, Mika,

You forgot to mention that you can also carry that quiver with the feathers pointing to the back. In some situations (lots of bushes, brush) this is an advantage.
Of course the perfect quiver has not been invented yet.
I like the nice graphics of your site.

Why do you drench the leather in olive oil (esp. before working with it! What a mess!)?
I impregnate it later, using ballistol (gun oil).

Yes you can carry all directions as right side and left side this quiver. This is close perfect as target quiver but because there is needs for hunting quivers too thats not answer for everyone. Its what you like, thats why there is not much as perfect ones :)

I made little bite messy with leather finishing before and after that hear that someone uses olive oil thats why i made test with this oil.
Its not bad finish. Olive oil makes nice darker color.

All finishing is beter make before holes, because if that finishing stuff is something like dont soak well and dry fast as makes somekind of coat for leather then its not possible correct finishing after and leather may come as spotty.

Original geschrieben von Taran

Some of your ideas about arrowmaking (using the file for the nock not directly perpendicular to the grain) seem a bit strange. Why do you do that? It is usually possible to keep close to a 90° angle, isn't it?

Your idea about small holes in the point, to give the glue more grip, is really interesting, though.

That means possibility to do something in within something :)

When you make wooden arrow its more than rule that it may not straight. I make nocks before straightening (if needed any straightening) thats why there is good have this tolerance what is not any weaker in 45* angle as 90* angle while you have grain crossing. What makes it weak is totally wrong grain crossing or softer or wrong wood.

Original geschrieben von horsebow
Welcome, too, Mika,
I liked especially the way you fletch your arrows. The fletching is shorter than four inches, I guess, but it does look very traditional. Most archers seem to think that traditional fletchings have to be longer than five inches.
I liked the professional-looking pics on your page!

horsebow

Yes there is no needed 10" flething for arrows and if you shoot with 4-6" brace height thats even less practical. When see much primitive or more real traditional stuff realize that there is not rules "how it should be done" but "how it works". ;-)

Antworten

Zurück zu „Ausrüstungsbau“